The Magoffin County Sheriff's Office is responsible for the security of the Justice Center and one District Court Judge, one Circuit Court Judge and one Family Court Judge.
With the opening of the Justice Center in 2004 we were responsible for hiring Security Officers to be responsible for these positions.
Certified Court Security Officer Requirements
Court Security Officers are hired and are employee's of the Magoffin County Sheriff's Office. The state Legislation has mandated that anyone working as a CCSO is required to pass the following standards before being employeed as a Court Security Officer.
- US Citizen and at least 21 years of age.
- High School Graduate/GED.
- Possess a valid Operators License.
- Have not been convicted of a felony.
- Not prohibitied by federal or state law from carrying a firearm.
- Completed background investigation, pyschological screening, polygraph examination, submission of fingerprints and drug screen.
- Read and signed a copy of the Kentucky Law Enforcement Officer's Code of Ethics.
- And has been interviewed.
Persons hired as Court Security Officers will be required upon hiring to complete 80 hours of certification training at the Department of Criminal Justice Training in Richmond, Ky and they will be required to stay in the dorms at the Department of Criminal Justice. They will also be required to complete 40 hours of in-service every other year.